One of the biggest nemesis of gardening, is the garden weed! Starting off fairly innocent, these invasive plants can easily take over your entire garden. But what are weeds anyway?
About 3% of all plant life are weeds. The challenge with these hardy plants is that they will literally take over your garden.
- Weeds are an eye sore
- Compete for sunlight, soil and nutrients
- Hardier than most garden variety plants, taking over your garden
Five Tips to Keep Weeds at Bay:
- Weed regularly: at minimum two to three times a week to get rid of these vigorous growing plants before they take over.
- Do not overcrowd your plants. Provide the room for your plants to grow, so that they develop a healthy, strong root system.
- Choose plants that match the light level of the garden. A plant that needs full sun will flounder in an area where there is only 2-3 hours of direct sunlight.
- Use landscape fabric. Once planted, cover the roots with a nice layer of mulch.
- If planting containers, opt for weed prohibiting products like Garden HALO.
Weeding does not have to be overwhelming. Make these five tips a part of your routine and enjoy beautiful gardens, every day!